With the temperature dropping our bodies are no longer craving cold foods like smoothies. Warm oatmeal has become the alternative in our home. As a general rule I’m not crazy about oatmeal, so I’ve been modifying the typical oatmeal with brown sugar recipe. I have taken a similar approach with my oatmeal that I take with my summer smoothies… throw a bunch of healthy stuff in, mix it up in hot water and go. The best part of this meal is that you can literally add whatever you want to it. Here is my current recipe, let me know what you think!
- 1/3 cup oatmeal (I used Love Grown Foods Super oats with chia and quinoa)
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 Tbsp dried gogi berries
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- Honey to taste
- Combine all ingredients, let sit for desired length of time and enjoy!
- You can use whatever oatmeal is best for you, if using stove top oats, follow instructions accordingly and add additional ingredients in the final couple of minutes.
What is your favourite way of enjoying oats?