Vegan “Cheesy” Broccoli Soup
The season of warming soups and stews is officially here. Enjoy this tasty gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan broccoli soup as a side dish to your next meal. Don’t be fooled by the vegan title, this dish is not lacking in the creamy department. Let me know what you think about this calcium-rich soup.
*Adapted from www.runningonrealfood.com
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 3 chopped and sliced large carrots
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- In a large pot, cook the onions in the coconut oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper and dijon and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the milk, broth and broccoli.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Turn off heat and stir in nutritional yeast and lemon juice.
- Remove about ½ of the soup and puree in a blender or puree the entire soup.
- Pour it back into the pot with the remaining soup.
- Makes 4 large dinner-sized portions or 8 sides.