Curried Sweet Potato, Carrot & Red Lentil Soup
It’s a New Year, holiday schedules are winding down, and we are heading back into our regular routine here at the Snow household. I was brainstorming a healthy meal after searching through my lacklustre refrigerator options post-holidays. I was able to make this tasty soup with foods around the house. This recipe was modified from the curried sweet potato, carrot and red lentil soup on www.shelikesfood.com. This delightfully creamy soup was a hit and the perfect lunch option on this chilly winter day.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 5-6 cups water, depending on how thick you want the soup to be
- coconut oil
- coconut milk for topping, if desired
- cilantro leaves to garnish, if desired
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and coat bottom with small amount of coconut oil. Add in the diced onions, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Saute for a few minutes until onions start to soften. Next add in the diced sweet potato, carrots, and all the spices. Stir and let cook for a few minutes. Finally add in the red lentils and water. Bring soup to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes until the carrots and sweet potato are fork tender.
- Let soup cool for a few minutes and then blend with an immersion blender or blend in batches in a blender or food processor. (I just used an immersion blender and it worked perfectly!)
- Heat before serving and top with a drizzle of coconut milk and cilantro leaves, if desired.
Make a batch for work lunches or as a side dish for dinner. Let me know how it turns out for you!